The following is a list of college and university Cantonese programs around the world. Please send updates or additions (including institution, program contact, and URL) to . In addition to our list, the Less Commonly Taught Languages (LCTL) at the University of Minnesota also has a list of U.S. institutions teaching Cantonese that includes k-12 programs (last updated 2014).
- Australian National University, Canberra, Australia. Several Cantonese courses offered toward a minor.
- University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia. Several Cantonese courses offered.
- University of British Columbia, Vancouver and Kelowna, British Columbia. The Cantonese language program has a range of courses available for all levels.
- University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario. Four Cantonese courses offered.
Vancouver Community College. Two levels through Continuing Studies.
- Jinan University, Guangzhou, China. Students are trained to be able to communicate in Cantonese through a one semester program. Emphasis on Cantonese Pronunciation, Intensive Cantonese, Spoken Cantonese and Cantonese Listening.
- United Kingdom
- School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS) University of London. London, United Kingdom. Courses offered as part of the Languages of China & Inner Asia program.
- University of Westminster, London, United Kingdom. Beginning Cantonese lessons offered.
- Czech Republic
- Palacký University Olomouc. Olomouc, Czech Republic. Cantonese offered by the Asian Studies department.
- Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, Hong Kong. (Yale-China Chinese Language Center). Full range of classes, elementary through advanced levels.
- City University of Hong Kong (formerly City Polytechnic of Hong Kong), Kowloon, Hong Kong. O
- Polytechnic University of Hong Kong (formerly Hong Kong Polytechnic), Kowloon, Hong Kong. Elementary and intermediate Cantonese are offered as electives towards a Minor in Chinese Language and Culture.
- University of Hong Kong (HKU), Pokfulam, Hong Kong. Offers a language certificate in Cantonese. A Facebook page specifically dedicated to Cantonese can also be found here.
- Hong Kong University of Science and Technology Clear Water Bay, Hong Kong. Several courses for credit and not for credit are offered.
- Brigham Young University, Provo, UT. Cantonese through intermediate level offered.
- College of Alameda, Peralta Community Colleges District, Alameda, California. Cantonese course offered up to Advanced level.
- Columbia University, Columbia, New York. Courses through the intermediate level offered through the Language Resource Center.
- The Five Colleges (Amherst, Hampshire, Mount Holyoke, Smith, and University of Massachusetts, Amherst) Offers Cantonese for Mandarin speakers through the Supervised Independent Language Programs.
- Foreign Service Institute, Arlington, Virginia. Basic course online.
- Harvard University, Cambridge, MA.
Taught as an on-demand tutorial for those needing language training for a research purpose.
- New York University, Manhattan, New York City. (Note:
- Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio. Several Cantonese courses to choose from.
Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ. Basic Cantonese (for travel)
- Sacramento City College, Sacramento, California. Two beginner and two intermediate courses offered.
- San Francisco City College, San Francisco, California. Beginning and intermediate level.
- San Francisco State University, San Francisco, California. A bilingual authorization program is offered.
- Stanford University, Stanford, California. Oral-communication courses at the beginning and intermediate levels.
- University of Arizona Critical Languages Program, Tucson, Arizona. One Cantonese class offered.
- University of California Berkeley, Berkeley, California. Offers Elementary Cantonese for both heritage and non-heritage learners.
University of California San Diego, San Diego, California. Offers an introductory course and Cantonese for heritage learners.
University of Pennsylvania, PA. The Penn Language Center offers two beginning and two intermediate level Cantonese course.
- University of Hawaii, Manoa, Honolulu, Hawaii.
- Williams College, Williamstown, MA. Introductory Cantonese courses offered.