The following is a list of college and university Cantonese programs around the world. Please send updates or additions (including institution, program contact, and URL) to . In addition to our list, the Less Commonly Taught Languages (LCTL) at the University of Minnesota also has a list of U.S. institutions teaching Cantonese that includes k-12 programs (last updated 2014).
- Australian National University, Canberra, Australia. Several Cantonese courses offered toward a minor.
- University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia. Several Cantonese courses offered.
- University of British Columbia, Vancouver and Kelowna, British Columbia. The Cantonese language program has a range of courses available for all levels.
- University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario. Four Cantonese courses offered.
Vancouver Community College. Two levels through Continuing Studies.
- Jinan University, Guangzhou, China. Students are trained to be able to communicate in Cantonese through a one semester program. Emphasis on Cantonese Pronunciation, Intensive Cantonese, Spoken Cantonese and Cantonese Listening.
- United Kingdom
- School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS) University of London. London, United Kingdom. Courses offered as part of the Languages of China & Inner Asia program.
- University of Westminster, London, United Kingdom. Beginning Cantonese lessons offered.
- Czech Republic
- Palacký University Olomouc. Olomouc, Czech Republic. Cantonese offered by the Asian Studies department.
- Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, Hong Kong. (Yale-China Chinese Language Center). Full range of classes, elementary through advanced levels.
- City University of Hong Kong (formerly City Polytechnic of Hong Kong), Kowloon, Hong Kong. O
- Polytechnic University of Hong Kong (formerly Hong Kong Polytechnic), Kowloon, Hong Kong. Elementary and intermediate Cantonese are offered as electives towards a Minor in Chinese Language and Culture.
- University of Hong Kong (HKU), Pokfulam, Hong Kong. Offers a language certificate in Cantonese. A Facebook page specifically dedicated to Cantonese can also be found here.
- Hong Kong University of Science and Technology Clear Water Bay, Hong Kong. Several courses for credit and not for credit are offered.
- Brigham Young University, Provo, UT. Cantonese through intermediate level offered.
- College of Alameda, Peralta Community Colleges District, Alameda, California. Cantonese course offered up to Advanced level.
- Columbia University, Columbia, New York. Courses through the intermediate level offered through the Language Resource Center.
- The Five Colleges (Amherst, Hampshire, Mount Holyoke, Smith, and University of Massachusetts, Amherst) Offers Cantonese for Mandarin speakers through the Supervised Independent Language Programs.
- Foreign Service Institute, Arlington, Virginia. Basic course online.
- Harvard University, Cambridge, MA.
Taught as an on-demand tutorial for those needing language training for a research purpose.
- New York University, Manhattan, New York City. (Note:
- Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio. Several Cantonese courses to choose from.
- Sacramento City College, Sacramento, California. Two beginner and two intermediate courses offered.
- University of California San Diego, San Diego, California. Offers an introductory course and Cantonese for heritage learners.
- San Francisco City College, San Francisco, California. Beginning and intermediate level
- San Francisco State University, San Francisco, California. A bilingual authorization program is offered.
- Stanford University, Stanford, California. Oral-communication courses at the beginning and intermediate levels.
- University of Arizona Critical Languages Program, Tucson, Arizona. One Cantonese class offered.
- University of California Berkeley, Berkeley, California. Offers Elementary Cantonese for both heritage and non-heritage learners.
- University of Hawaii, Manoa, Honolulu, Hawaii.
- Williams College, Williamstown, MA. Introductory Cantonese courses offered.
- University of Pennsylvania, PA. The Penn Language Center offers two beginning and two intermediate level Cantonese course.